httpd-users mailing list archives

From dan <i...@hostinthebox.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache on Linux
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 02:54:36 GMT
Broming plutonium wrote:
>>I recommend instead though that you install
>
> something like Fedora Core
>
> What's Fedora Core? I know it's an operating system
> but...what does it do?
>

>>Hmmm...  I never tried this but can't one install
>>Apache on non-Windows using a pre-packaged - i.e.,
>>pre-compiled and linked - executable?
>

> Yes. I tried to find a package that works with Debian
> (most packages that work with Debian work with
> Xandros), but no matter how hard I searched on Google,
> I could only find the source code.
>

>>The only reason your system wants to see
>>gcc is because it wants to compile the Apache source
>>code using make etc., so if you install using an
>>executable you shouldn't have that problem.
>

> Yes, I've installed packagaes (.deb and .rpm) before.
> Also, I finally found out how to download gcc. It
> works great.
>

>>Interesting that no 2.0 package is availible.
>

> LOL probably you can write the first one.
>

>>Why not start simple, like with Fedora.
>

> What exactly is Fedora? I've never heard of it.
>

>>Try http://packages.debian.org/unstable/web/apache2
>

>>There you will find Apache2.
>

> Oh. Why is apache2 considered "unstable"?

Apache2 isn't considered "unstable" by any means.  It's just not as
mature as Apache1.3.  Just keep that in mind as you use it.

I agree with Duncan, in the fact that you should start with a, I don't
know if I'd call it an "easier" distribution, but something that is a
bit more friendly.  You can find more information about Fedora Core at
http://fedora.redhat.com, as well as numerous links found off of Google.

However, don't discount your current Distribution because it's something
that you're not entirely used to.  Feel free to take the time and
explore for a distribution that you really feel comfortable with.  In
the end it's not what distribution that you're using, but rather, how
comfortable and productive you are with your current distribution.

Thanks
-dant