httpd-users mailing list archives

From robert rottermann <rob...@redcor.ch>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] problem when using mod_deflate and zip files and IE6
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 10:34:50 GMT
Axel-St├ęphane SMORGRAV wrote:
thanks for your answer
>Does Apache seem to be compressing the file i.e. is Content-Encoding: gzip ? If it is
not, which I suspect, mod_deflate did not compress the file. Judging from your configuration,
there is no reason to believe that your zip files are treated any differently than pdf files.

>What about the deflate log? Does that contain any indication of zip files being compressed
whereas pdf files are not?

when I unload mod_deflate everything works fine
>Did you try to unload or otherwise de-activate mod_deflate to see if that makes any difference?

as soon as I have mod_deflat logged and
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
 it does not work anymore.
 From the deflate log I do not get any usefull info, since no matter
what the settings are, it does not show any compression ratio
Using
    # deflate.log, log compression ratio on each request
    DeflateFilterNote ratio
    LogFormat '"%r" %b (ratio=%{ratio}n) "%{User-agent}i"' deflate
    CustomLog /var/log/apache2/deflate.log deflate

I only get lines as the following .
"GET /ploneNS4.css HTTP/1.1" 794 (ratio=-) "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible;
MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50110)"

This is also something that makes me wonder. Why do I not get a
compression ration
.
Now I achieved serving zip f iles by using
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/css
instead of
    SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

Why is this so??
thanks again for your help
Robert

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
    DeflateCompressionLevel 9

    # NOTE: Due to a bug in mod_setenvif up to Apache 2.0.48
    # the above regex won't work. You can use the following
    # workaround to get the desired effect:
    #BrowserMatch \bMSI[E] !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

    # Don't compress images, java scripts and style sheets
    #_robert_ pdf, gz hinzugeuegt
    SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
    \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png|js|css|pdf|gz|zip)$ no-gzip dont-vary

    # Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content
    # this needs mod_headers but it's very important
    # so I don't add a IfModule around it
    #Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

    <Location />
        # compress content with type html, text, and css
        AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/css
        <IfModule mod_headers.c>
            # properly handle requests coming from behind proxies
            Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary
        </IfModule>
    </Location>

    # deflate.log, log compression ratio on each request
    DeflateFilterNote ratio
    LogFormat '"%r" %b (ratio=%{ratio}n) "%{User-agent}i"' deflate
    CustomLog /var/log/apache2/deflate.log deflate

    #Properly handle old browsers that do not support compression
    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip