httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Albert <...@netrition.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Signal handling (SIGPIPE) change
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 18:54:57 GMT
Is anyone aware of a change in signal handling by apache httpd from
somewhere perhaps between versions 2.0.49 and 2.0.52 of apache?

It seems to me that apache would previously catch a sigpipe once it
noticed that the pipe from server to client was broken; most likely by
someone pressing the stop button.

It would then immediately send a signal to kill any running CGI.

I'm running apache 2.0.52 with mod_perl 2 and perl 5.8.5 and I have a
test CGI that does lots of output to stdout so that it should cause a
sigpipe if the browser quits. Sometime prior to apache 2.0.52 this was
the case.

However, now it appears that this test CGI is allowed to continue until
it has finished. I used to have to catch the SIGPIPE in apache (via a
PerlFixupHandler with mod_perl) to prevent the httpd child from killing
my CGI. I seem to no longer need to do that with apache 2.0.52. I'm fine
with that behavior, but just trying to convince myself of why it is I'm
seeing this.

I know there have been signal changes with perl as of version 5.8
however, I don't believe this is a mod_perl or perl issue. I .foo'd my
conf.d/perl.conf file to turn off mod_perl just to check and I still
witness the same behavior... my test CGI finishes to completion.

I checked the apache changes logs, but didn't see anything that looked
relevant.

Sound familiar to anyone? Thanks for any help.

--
Jim Albert