httpd-users mailing list archives

From SkyFlash <webmas...@hackquest.de>
Subject [users@httpd] Bug? Or not? Accessing server with numeric IP produces error page... with VirtualHost setup
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 04:47:20 GMT
Good morning....

I have a problem with my Apache2 (2.0.52).

While checking how to calculate numeric IPs from my own I found out that
my webserver does not like it when I access it via the numeric IP.

I have my webserver set up with virtual hosts, so I do understand that
he has problems to figure out WHICH webpage to serve, but I had the
impression that in all cases when he does not know what domain is being
asked for he would just server the first webpage in the config.

Example:

If I access it via an IP (e.g. http://192.168.1.2/index.php) it all works.

When I do something like "http://123456789/index.php it will produce the
following page:

-----snip-----
Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
-----snip-----

Also it will log an error in the logfile.:

-----snip-----
[Tue May 10 06:34:08 2005] [error] [client 192.155.149.29] Client sent
malformed Host header

Now my questions are...

1. Is that intended behaviour?
2. If not, is there something I can do to fix it?
3. Is there a workaround that would enable me to redirect those requests
to a specific virtual host by other means?

I did find a bug report from some years ago about the exact same
problem, but it was apparently fixed... so should it work?

Thanks for help!