httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Eric S. Johansson" <...@harvee.org>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: redirection from within apache....
Date Fri, 06 May 2005 23:14:24 GMT
Patrick Donker wrote:
> bruce wrote:
>
>> hi...
>>
>> i have a situation where i have a few websites that i'm playing around
>> with.
>> i'd like the sites to be on separate apache servers/boxes. i'd also
>> like the
>> sites to use port 80. my router allows port forwarding, but i have no
>> way of
>> aplitting port 80 between multiple boxes/servers.
>>
>> i thought i could simply allow port 80 to be passed to each server,
>> and that
>> each server would pull the site information it needs.. umm nope, didn't
>> work!!
>>
>> so, is there a way that i can essentially pass all sites to one
>> webserver/box, and allow it to in turn redirect the sites to the
>> appropriate
>> box/server...
>>
>> what's the best approach for this kind of situation?
>>
>> thoughts/suggestions/ideas/pointers/etc...
>>

> What you need is reverse-proxy
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/urlmapping.html#proxy
>
> Good luck!

be aware that this form of reverse proxy can fail open extremely easily
and there is no way to detect it.  I provided a gateway for spammers for
a few days because of this tool.  As a result, I now use pound which
failsafe.  save yourself some heartache and a significant amount of
work: http://www.apsis.ch/pound/