httpd-users mailing list archives

From NetSuporte <netsupo...@superig.com.br>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Can this be Done?
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 19:26:15 GMT
dan wrote:

> NetSuporte wrote:
>
>> First I am new to Apache but not to Linux. I have Apache2 up and
>> running fresh from an install and thatÅ› it.
>>
>> My question(s)  before I start this endevour is the following possible.
>>
>> 1) Create a home webserver.
>> 2) Host my own website on the home webserver.
>> 3) Have access to my website from the internet via an DSL/ISP
>> connection.
>>
>> I want to do this without registering a domain.
>>
>> I am using a router and the computer I want to setup is configured as
>> the DMZ.
>> My router is the DHCP server ( I have five computers in my home) ,
>> and my system has an IP address outside the DHCP range so it has a
>> static IP address.
>>
>>  Do I need to setup the webhost server as a secondary DNS server to
>> the ISP DNS server?
>>
>> I have spent the entire day tryng to figure out how to associate the
>> server "hostname.xxx.xx" with  the webserver "www.name.domain" and IP
>> address and how to point to the actual "index.html" for the webpage
>> in /var/www/mywebsite/index.html.
>>
>>  From what I read all Apache2 configuration takes place in
>> "httpd.conf". My configuration does not work properly and I have read
>> so some information I am confused on exactly where I went wrong.
>>
>>  At this point I am getting the following when I try to access
>> "http://www.name.domain/index.html".
>>

>>   Forbidden
>>
>> You don't have permission to access /apache2-default/index.html on
>> this server.
>>
>> Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to
>> use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

>> Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.3.10-13 Server at localhost
>> Port 80
>>

>> I could use a little basic guidance so far I just get pointed to the
>> same documentation I already have been reading but cannot seem to
>> extrapolate the correct information. So a cookbook step by step would
>> help, but I now it is a pain and will take someones valued time. I
>> just seem to have too much information to read through and need to
>> sort it out.
>>
>> thanks for any help.
>>
>> Philip
>> netsuporte@superig.com.br
>>

> Philip -
>
> In all honesty, the best basic help I've ever gotten was from inside
> httpd.conf itself.  You still have to use your brain a bit, but for
> the mostpart it's a step-by-step primer.  Basic rule of thumb is, if
> you don't understand it, leave it alone - but change what you need
> to.  If you still want to understand it, take up the directive that
> you are examining, and reference it to the documentation provided at
> http://httpd.apache.org.

You are correct, and I am trying to use what brain I have left I am 62
years old and slowing down a bit these days, but I learn something new
everyday and more often it is from knowledgeable people like yourself.

> You could go through all the trouble of setting up a simple DNS
> server, or you could edit the 'hosts' file on each machine and make
> them "aware" of the hostname resolution (www.name.domain points to,
> say, 192.168.0.10).  This would be a much simpler

The objective is to allow access from anywhere on the internet, the
intention is to have the website passworded for entry.
I guess this is sounding more like VPN server than just a webserver.

> solution.
>
> Are you able to hit the server by it's IP, i.e. http://192.168.0.10 or
> what have you?

I am using this system with no problems it functions as a FTP server and
a Samba server already.

If I try  http://192.168.1.222:80  ( the actual server IP)

I get the above (Forbidden) message.

What I don't get yet is why when I use this input it changes to the
/apache2-default/ directory.
 I have tried to change the path to /var/www/mywebsite  no matter what I
get the same response.

> HTML emails are a bit difficult to read for those who do not have
> HTML-enabled email clients.  Please do not use HTML email when sending
> to this list.  It's better that you hear it now, from me, in a polite
> manner, than really making someone mad later on ;)

OK sorry for the html I do know better no excuse for that.