httpd-users mailing list archives

From dan <i...@hostinthebox.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Can this be Done?
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 18:02:40 GMT
NetSuporte wrote:
> First I am new to Apache but not to Linux. I have Apache2 up and running
> fresh from an install and thatÅ› it.
>
> My question(s)  before I start this endevour is the following possible.
>
> 1) Create a home webserver.
> 2) Host my own website on the home webserver.
> 3) Have access to my website from the internet via an DSL/ISP connection.
>
> I want to do this without registering a domain.
>
> I am using a router and the computer I want to setup is configured as
> the DMZ.
> My router is the DHCP server ( I have five computers in my home) , and
> my system has an IP address outside the DHCP range so it has a static IP
> address.
>
>  Do I need to setup the webhost server as a secondary DNS server to the
> ISP DNS server?
>
> I have spent the entire day tryng to figure out how to associate the
> server "hostname.xxx.xx" with  the webserver "www.name.domain" and IP
> address and how to point to the actual "index.html" for the webpage in
> /var/www/mywebsite/index.html.
>
>  From what I read all Apache2 configuration takes place in "httpd.conf".
> My configuration does not work properly and I have read so some
> information I am confused on exactly where I went wrong.
>
>  At this point I am getting the following when I try to access
> "http://www.name.domain/index.html".
>

>   Forbidden
>
> You don't have permission to access /apache2-default/index.html on this
> server.
>
> Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use
> an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

> Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.3.10-13 Server at localhost Port 80
>

> I could use a little basic guidance so far I just get pointed to the
> same documentation I already have been reading but cannot seem to
> extrapolate the correct information. So a cookbook step by step would
> help, but I now it is a pain and will take someones valued time. I just
> seem to have too much information to read through and need to sort it out.
>
> thanks for any help.
>
> Philip
> netsuporte@superig.com.br

Philip -

In all honesty, the best basic help I've ever gotten was from inside
httpd.conf itself.  You still have to use your brain a bit, but for the
mostpart it's a step-by-step primer.  Basic rule of thumb is, if you
don't understand it, leave it alone - but change what you need to.  If
you still want to understand it, take up the directive that you are
examining, and reference it to the documentation provided at
http://httpd.apache.org.

You could go through all the trouble of setting up a simple DNS server,
or you could edit the 'hosts' file on each machine and make them "aware"
of the hostname resolution (www.name.domain points to, say,
192.168.0.10).  This would be a much simpler solution.

Are you able to hit the server by it's IP, i.e. http://192.168.0.10 or
what have you?

HTML emails are a bit difficult to read for those who do not have
HTML-enabled email clients.  Please do not use HTML email when sending
to this list.  It's better that you hear it now, from me, in a polite
manner, than really making someone mad later on ;)

Thanks
-dant