httpd-users mailing list archives

From NetSuporte <netsupo...@superig.com.br>
Subject [users@httpd] Can this be Done?
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 15:10:35 GMT
First I am new to Apache but not to Linux. I have Apache2 up and running
fresh from an install and thatÅ› it.

My question(s)  before I start this endevour is the following possible.

1) Create a home webserver.
2) Host my own website on the home webserver.
3) Have access to my website from the internet via an DSL/ISP connection.

I want to do this without registering a domain.

I am using a router and the computer I want to setup is configured as
the DMZ.
My router is the DHCP server ( I have five computers in my home) , and
my system has an IP address outside the DHCP range so it has a static IP
address.

 Do I need to setup the webhost server as a secondary DNS server to the
ISP DNS server?

I have spent the entire day tryng to figure out how to associate the
server "hostname.xxx.xx" with  the webserver "www.name.domain" and IP
address and how to point to the actual "index.html" for the webpage in
/var/www/mywebsite/index.html.

 From what I read all Apache2 configuration takes place in "httpd.conf".
My configuration does not work properly and I have read so some
information I am confused on exactly where I went wrong.

 At this point I am getting the following when I try to access
"http://www.name.domain/index.html".

  Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /apache2-default/index.html on this
server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use
an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.3.10-13 Server at localhost Port 80

I could use a little basic guidance so far I just get pointed to the
same documentation I already have been reading but cannot seem to
extrapolate the correct information. So a cookbook step by step would
help, but I now it is a pain and will take someones valued time. I just
seem to have too much information to read through and need to sort it out.

thanks for any help.

Philip
netsuporte@superig.com.br