httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Smith" <m...@sane.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] IP based subdomain in second server
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 21:00:06 GMT
Hi Alvaro,

    This is a DNS configuration issue.  If you are hosting your own DNS,
it's very simple to do just that.  Have xxx.com point to 111.222.333.444
and yyy.xxx.com point to 555.666.777.888.  If that's the only site you
are hosting on that server (yyy.xxx.com) then apache should work fine
without many mods.  If you are not hosting your DNS, you need to be able
to control it or ask whomever does control it to make a host entry for
your server (yyy.xxx.com).

~mike

________________________________

From: Alvaro Cobo [mailto:coboalvaro@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 4:16 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] IP based subdomain in second server

Hi guys:

I am a newbie and this is my first post. I would like to have your wise
advice. The problem is as follows:

I have a domain and a paid hosting which serves our mail and some pages.
Additionally to this I would like to have my own server with Apache,
where I would like to host a subdomain. For this task I have a static IP
address, a server and an ADSL connection to internet at home.

So when the experiment is ready I will have: www.mydomain.com at
200.xxx.x.xxx in an external hosting and subdomain.mydomain.com at
205.xxx.xxx.xxx hosted in my own server at home)

The questions are as follows:

Is this possible to do that?.

Is this subject related to the server configuration or it is more
related to the DNS server configuration?.

Is there any specific directive I have to take in account in the moment
of configuring my httpd.conf?.

Any clue will be very, very, very appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

Alvaro

PD: I have read the Apache IP-Based and Apache Name-Based Virtual Host
support documents, but I am still confused.