httpd-users mailing list archives

From ed elliott <eddiearm...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] [Win32 Installation] Apache 2.0.54 HTTP-server
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 12:58:54 GMT
I wouldn't suggest you do this on a real machine, but when I want to install more than one
version without the source (so using the msi install) I use the orca tool to modify the msi
file to let me install correctly:

1 - get orca ( http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q107066 )
2 - use it to open the msi file, in the property section, change the product code, just pick
one number at random and change it - (I ususall change the last or first digit), also change
the SERVICEINTERNALNAME and SERVICENAME to Apache254 or something similar.

save the msi and it should install - you must do a custom install and change the install location,
otherwise you wil overwrite the existing binaries!!

you will find that the service doesn't get installed so you need to start apache manually
from the install dir and unless you change the port number, you will need to stop the existing
service.

As I said this is only for testing, but it worked for me, and at the end of the day u end
up with the new binaries and so it works.

ed

"Raymond S." <rs@spray.no> wrote:
Hi,

I attempted to install Apache 2.0.54 on a system that
is already running 2.0.47. The Windows Installer had
this to say about it:

"
Another version of this product is already installed.
Installation of this version cannot continue. To
configure or remove the existing version of this product,
use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.

[OK]
"

Note that these are *different* versions.

This limitation effectively prevents me from having multiple
versions of Apache installed on the same system, which further
makes testing an impossibility.

Is this an issue with the MSI package, perhaps?
--
Regards,
Raymond.