httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jaspreet Singh <jsi...@ensim.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: [apache-modules] Filtering/Interception Error log strings
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 12:30:02 GMT
hi,

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 13:46 +0200, rm@fabula.de wrote:
> > I want to use apache to support 2000+ virt-hosts and log errors
> > seperately for each virt-host.
> >
> > But apache opens and maintains fd's for each error_log and access_log.
> > And hence the select syscall ( which has a fd_set of max 1024 fds)
> > fails .. and hence apache fails to start up.
>
> Are you _shure_ about this diagnosis? Why would Apache need to 'select' on
> the log file descriptors? How did you come to this conclusion?
>
>  Ralf Mattes

thanx a lot for the reply.

You getting me wrong ... the number of open fd for the httpd process
becomes 1023+ . So when httpd opens sockets to listen they get fd_num >
1024.

Now when apache selects on these sockets .. its gets an error , because
select syscall's fd_set is defined in select.h as

	__fd_mask fds_bits[__FD_SETSIZE / __NFDBITS];

where __FD_SETSIZE = 1024.

apache's recomiple can solve the problem .. but i dont want to do it.
Alternatively i want to itercept error logs (using custom module or
otherwise) and log them myself. Access logs can always be constructed
using request_rec , so no need to intercept them.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
--

Don't Walk as if you own the world,