httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ben Fryer" <...@redclawventures.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Wildcard DNS with Separate Subdomain Log Files
Date Fri, 27 May 2005 11:23:21 GMT
Hi All

We have apache configured using wildcard DNS *.mydomain.com

The site has members who on sign up can instantly access their version of
the site.

user1.mydomain.com
user2.mydomain.com

We use a single VirtualHost definition that captures *.mydomain.com rewrites
to a script that extracts the username displays the correct site.

That all works fine!

The problem we have is we now want too provide users stats for their
subdomains using a web stats application such as webalizer, ideally having a
separate log file for each subdomain.

Is there any way we could get apache to automatically produce multiple log
files for each sub domain in the same VirtualHost definition effectively:

CustomLog /logs/www.mydomain.com_access_log combined
CustomLog /logs/user1.mydomain.com_access_log combined
CustomLog /logs/user2.mydomain.com_access_log combined

There is a mention of a script called split-logfile in the manual but its
not very clear how it can be used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ben