httpd-users mailing list archives

From "John Elkins" <j...@vermontdatabase.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] IP based subdomain in second server
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 20:27:00 GMT
You can't have a domain in different places, far as I know.  But, you can put a page on your
domain at www.mydomain.com/subdomain, and have it refresh to your ADSL-connected server.
refresh is an http command in the page header.

John Elkins
400 Upper Hollow Hill Rd.
Stowe, VT  05672
Home: 802-253-4146
Mobile: 802-249-0914
FAX:  775-822-2568
john@vermontdatabase.com
http://www.vermontdatabase.com

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Alvaro Cobo
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Sent: 05/24/2005 4:16 PM
  Subject: [users@httpd] IP based subdomain in second server

  Hi guys:

  I am a newbie and this is my first post. I would like to have your wise advice. The problem
is as follows:

  I have a domain and a paid hosting which serves our mail and some pages. Additionally to
this I would like to have my own server with Apache, where I would like to host a subdomain.
For this task I have a static IP address, a server and an ADSL connection to internet at home.

  So when the experiment is ready I will have: www.mydomain.com at 200.xxx.x.xxx in an external
hosting and subdomain.mydomain.com at 205.xxx.xxx.xxx hosted in my own server at home)

  The questions are as follows:

  Is this possible to do that?.

  Is this subject related to the server configuration or it is more related to the DNS server
configuration?.

  Is there any specific directive I have to take in account in the moment of configuring my
httpd.conf?.

  Any clue will be very, very, very appreciated.

  Thanks and best regards,

  Alvaro

  PD: I have read the Apache IP-Based and Apache Name-Based Virtual Host support documents,
but I am still confused.