httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Brian Hughes '89" <bria...@Alum.Dartmouth.ORG>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to make apache to fix the url in the browser?
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 16:54:13 GMT
On May 20, 2005, at 12:08 PM, Flávio Henrique wrote:
> I dont want to make any redirection ok? I just want this:
>
> on my internal webserver I have egroupware installed
> (www.egroupware.org)
> my clients, when access my egroupware site, see, in the address bar
> the url:
> http://www.myserver.com/egroupware/index.php?
> menuaction=email.uicompose.compose&fldball[folder]=Inbox
>
> how to make apache (if this is in apache) send only the
> "www.myserver.com" to
> browser? no matter where the user goes or which link the user clicks.

OK... so what you want to do is "fix" the URL that's displayed in the
user's browser, no matter what page they are on, or how deep into to
the www.myserver.com site? If so, then this has nothing to do with
Apache, per-se.

What it sounds like you want to do is wrap the entry page to the
egroupware site in a Frameset that has 2 frame rows: 1 that is 100% the
height of the window and the second that is * (which is really 0
height). You set this frameset up as the index.html page of
www.myserver.com and set the HREF of frame 1 to point to:

/egroupware/index.php?
menuaction=email.uicompose.compose&fldball[folder]=Inbox

Or whatever the user's "home page" would be. The egroupware site
doesn't know it's being framed, so it simply treats the top frame as
the "window", which is what causes the browser to never change the
displayed URL from "http://www.myserver.com/". Incidentally, this is
effectively what Google does for their GMail system. No matter where
you go in your GMail account, the URL is always
https://gmail.google.com/gmail.

The trick with this, since you're fooling both the browser and
egroupware, is when there's a link that takes you outside the
egroupware system, it too, will display in the main frame and look to
the browser as though it was "http://www.myserver.com/". That might not
be what you want. Google handles this by modifying every non-GMail <a>
tag with a target="_blank" attribute that forces a new browser window
to open when the link is clicked.

Again, this has nothing to do with your Apache settings. You can use
Apache, with mod_rewrite, to cause one website to look like it comes
from a different URL, but that's not the same thing as fixing a single
URL in the user's browser, no matter where they click in a site.

-Brian