httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] proxied remote_host how to ?
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:46:57 GMT
On 4/19/05, Ezio Paglia <ezio@comune.grosseto.it> wrote:
> >Look in the environment variable X_Forwarded_For.
>
> if the request passes through a chain of proxies what does it happen to
> such variabile ?

Depends on the proxies.  I believe that if apache is the last proxy,
it will remove any previous values and write the IP address of the
last proxy in X-Forwarded-For.  There is no general way to tell the
original client's IP address.  It all depends on the proxies involved.

> In order to leave intact the application on the backup server, could we use
> a setenv mechanism on the backend server, in order to rewrite the
> remote_addr variable with the x_forwarded_for variable ?

No.  This would require a custom apache module.  (It probably wouldn't
be too complicated, but you would need to be very careful about
security issues.)

Joshua.