httpd-users mailing list archives

From Craig Dunigan <cduni...@doit.wisc.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Rewrite attributes in document...
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2005 22:30:08 GMT
On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Nick Kew wrote:

> Maldonado, Daniel CW2 CTARNG wrote:
> > OK, I googled, yahooed and read enough documentation to try and solve this
> > problem on my own.
>
> But evidently not such obviously-irrelevant pages as
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html
> which points you directly at the solution.
>
> Nor directly at the software (at apache.webthing.com)
> or the feature article (at www.apacheweek.com).

Forgive me, I can't help playing peacemaker, and I really hope I don't
upset anyone.  Nick, I for one really appreciate what you've done for the
community.  But I don't think you understood the problem, which makes
attacking Daniel like that look kinda bad.  He's trying to rewrite
dynamically created HTML that he's already serving via mod_proxy.

> Maldonado, Daniel CW2 CTARNG wrote:
>>>I need to know if there is a way the httpd server can parse every
>>>returned html/xml page and replace every instance of a pattern on said page.

and

>>I am using a DMZ mod_proxy server to access a backend portal on a
>>private network.  The documents are dymamic so a module will have to do.
>>I was thinking about a Perl module and it seems like that may be the
>>best solution.

I told him to write a Perl module to do this.  Only Joost pointed out
mod_proxy_html, which I didn't know about until now.  It looks like it
will help Daniel, and should be a darn sight quicker than a custom
mod_perl content handler.

We all get annoyed, but maybe we should be sure we know what the user is
talking about before we snipe at him.  Just a (hopefully) gentle reminder
that "community" means more than just a bunch of people doing the same
thing.

Craig