httpd-users mailing list archives

From Paula Nousiainen <paula.nousiai...@technia.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Question about Apache Compressing Configurations
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 06:11:56 GMT
Thank You Joshua for taking the time to investigate my compressing
problem.
Please, specify in more detail,
what would be the right location for the SetOutputFilter directive in
httpd.conf?

At the moment I have it at the end of the httpd.conf:

# Insert filter
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
# Netscape 4.x has some problems...
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
# Netscape 4.06-4.08 have some more problems
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
# MSIE masquerades as Netscape, but it is fine
BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
# Don't compress images
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
\.(?:gif|jpe?g|png)$ no-gzip dont-vary
# Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content
Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

DeflateFilterNote Input instream
DeflateFilterNote Output outstream
DeflateFilterNote Ratio ratio
LogFormat '"%r" %{outstream}n/%{instream}n (%{ratio}n%%)' deflate
CustomLog logs/deflate_log deflate

For possible mod_deflate related errors in error.log, I have to get back
to You, becouse I do not have direct online connection for that production
server.

br,
Paula

Joshua Slive <jslive@gmail.com>
08/04/2005 21:48
Please respond to
users@httpd.apache.org

users@httpd.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: [users@httpd] Question about Apache Compressing Configurations

On Apr 8, 2005 6:31 AM, Paula Nousiainen <paula.nousiainen@technia.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I have installed Apache 2.0.52 (Win) and configured it to compress our
web
> application traffic.
>
> SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
> DeflateFilterNote Input instream
> DeflateFilterNote Output outstream
> DeflateFilterNote Ratio ratio
> LogFormat '"%t" "%a" "%r" %{outstream}n/%{instream}n (%{ratio}n%%)'
deflate
> CustomLog logs/deflate_log deflate
>
> What could be wrong in my configurations, when Apache does not compress
?

> "[06/Apr/2005:14:18:44 +0300]" "3.187.4.17" "GET /ematrix/emxLogin.jsp
> HTTP/1.1" -/- (-%)
>
> On other, working environment compressing to this same page is 67 %
>
> "GET /ematrix/emxLogin.jsp HTTP/1.1" 100/149 (67%)
>
> All answers / suggestions, what to try to solve this problem are warmly
> wellcome.

Are you sure the SetOutputFilter directive is in the right location in
httpd.conf?

Are there any mod_deflate related errors in your error log?

Joshua.