httpd-users mailing list archives

From DGeor...@wiley.com
Subject [users@httpd] Using apache as proxy with another Apache and JBoss
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:04:18 GMT
hi,

One of our J2EE applications is running on JBoss/Tomcat server and all the
requests are coming  from Apache using JK connector. The OS is RedHat EL
3.0.

The application is very reach in multimedia content which is stored as
BLOB objects in an Oracle database. Because of them the database is 40 GB
big and growing. Initially the application would load the BLOB objects on
request into the memory and cache them. Unfortunately it would consume
lots of memory (up to 2 GB) when the number of users increases or the
users would start requesting more and more multimedia content (Flas,
movie, audio etc files).

Squid was introduced to the configuration as external cache and managed to
increase the performance and scalability of the application. Up to some
point. Even with Squid enabled the application doesn't scale well.

We are looking now into different approaches to off-load the BLOB objects
from the SQL server into the file system served by Apache. That would
reduce the database size to probably few hundred MB and increase the
response times from the SQL server. The idea is to keep the multimedia
content out of the application/JBoss  memory space. In this scenario one
Apache web server would work as proxy and serve the multimedia files from
the file system located on the same box. All other apache servers would
access this proxy when multimedia content would be requested and send the
rest of the requests to the application on JBoss.

The only obstacle we have is how to make sure that only authenticated
users have access to the multimedia files. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dimitar