httpd-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "James Richardson" <james.richard...@db.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Running multiple daemons
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:45:53 GMT
I wouldn't recommend doing this.

As soon as you are installing in a non-default fashion the defaults will
get you. You may be able to tell rpm to install in a different location
though, using some flag (I've not ever done this).

Good luck

James

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Lingel, Jason [mailto:jasonl@rand.org]
> Sent: 28 April 2005 15:40
> To: users@httpd.apache.org
> Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Running multiple daemons
> 
> I'm running apache from the rpm install on linux.  I would usually
install
> as you suggest, but it's the init scripts that are tripping me up.
> Everything is set up to handle httpd and httpd.pid, but not httpd-stage,
> etc.
> 
> 
> Jason Lingel
> Systems Administration
> RAND
> (310) 393-0411, ext. 7990
> jasonl@rand.org
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: James Richardson [mailto:james.richardson@db.com]
> Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 3:18 AM
> To: users@httpd.apache.org
> Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Running multiple daemons
> 
> 
> 
> Easiest way in my experience is simply to install twice, to different
> directories.
> 
> /opt/apache/http-2.0.xx/prod
> /opt/apache/http-2.0.xx/test
> 
> The apache install will take care of all the paths etc, so you don't
need
> to worry about that.
> 
> (outlook will do random capitalisation to my email, sorry about that...)
> 
> I've done this using a couple of scripts....you could make this more
> complicated, but this works ok.
> 
> Apache
>  Configure-yourapache.sh
>  Configure-test.sh
>  Configure-prod.sh
>  Httpd-2.0.xx.tar.gz
> 
> When you want to build, remove any previous build directories, then
> 
> Tar zxf httpd-2.0.xx.tar.gz
> Cd httpd-2.0.xx
> ../configure-prod.sh
> 
> 
> configure.sh
> #!/bin/sh
> ./configure "--with-mpm=worker" "--enable-mods-shared=all proxy cache
> disk-cache" "--prefix=$my_apache_dir" "--enable-deflate" "$@"
> 
> Configure-test.sh
> #!/bin/sh
> Called=`dirname $0`
> Export my_apache_dir=/opt/apache/apache-2.0.xx/test
> $called/configure.sh
> 
> Configure-prod.sh
> #!/bin/sh
> Called=`dirname $0`
> Export my_apache_dir=/opt/apache/apache-2.0.xx/prod
> $called/configure.sh
> 
> 
> This makes sure that test/prod are built the same, but in different
> directories.
> 
> Then in your httpd.conf files, you remove all common stuff to separate
> file(s)
> 
> Test/conf/httpd.conf -> /somewhere/conf/Httpd.conf.test
> Prod/conf/httpd.conf -> /somewhere/conf/http.conf.prod
> 
> Httpd.conf.test
> 
> DocumentRoot "/somewhere/content/test"
> Listen xxx
> ....
> Include /somewhere/conf/common/common.inc
> 
> ...
> 
> 
> Httpd.conf.prod
> DocumentRoot "/somewhere/content/prod"
> Listen yy
> Include /somewhere/conf/common/common.inc
> 
> Hope that helps,
> 
> James
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Lingel, Jason [mailto:jasonl@rand.org]
> > Sent: 27 April 2005 23:27
> > To: users@httpd.apache.org
> > Subject: [users@httpd] Running multiple daemons
> >
> > I'm running apache 2.0.46 on linux and want to run multiple daemons.
> One
> > web site will be the production site and the other will be the test
> site.
> > I want to run two daemons so I can bring the test site up and down at
> will
> > without impacting production and make config changes for testing if
> > needed.
> >
> > I have two different ip addresses and use two different httpd.conf
> files,
> > one pointing at a different config. file, i.e.:
> >
> > httpd -f /etc/httpd/conf/httpd-stage.conf
> >
> > I can get these started well enough but I need to get them to
autostart
> on
> > reboot and the /etc/init.d/httpd script only handles httpd.conf.  I
> > created a separate /etc/init.d/httpd-stage script but I'm having to
hack
> > at it and import and modify functions from the /etc/init.d/functions
> > script to make things work.
> >
> > It seems like this is a path that should be well-traveled but I
haven't
> > found much in the newsgroups about it.  Has anybody seen this process
> > documented anywhere or have any clues about how to make it work other
> than
> > hacking at the init scripts?
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > Jason Lingel
> > jasonl@rand.org
> >
> >
> > --------------------
> >
> > This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
and
> > may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
> > disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
> > recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all
> copies
> > of the original message.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server
> Project.
> > See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> >    "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> > For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server
Project.
> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>    "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
> 
> 
> 
> 
> --------------------
> 
> This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
> may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
> disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all
copies
> of the original message.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server
Project.
> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>    "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


---------------------------------------------------------------------
The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


Mime
View raw message