httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] https redirected to http, different login?
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:27:23 GMT

Not possible using basic_auth. The HTTP site and the HTTPS site are two different virtual
hosts (they're on different ports!). So the browser will always regard them as two different
authentication realms and never use the same credentials.

However, I think you fundamentally misunderstand how basic_auth works. What happens is that
the browser caches the username and password (aka: "credentials") from the first request and
after, submits them with every request in the same "realm" (realm = any URL under the directory
it first hit the authentication).

So even if your scheme worked, it would not give any security because a snooper could extract
the credentials from any HTTP requests which followed the HTTPS login.

You have two options:

- put everything under HTTPS (you're not worried about server load, are you?)
- use session-management to validate the user (ie, give him a cookie).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

PS - read on...

> *content of .htaccess file:
>
>  AuthType Basic
>  AuthName "Message"
>  AuthUserFile /path/to/my/pass/file
>  Require valid-user
>

> (I attached my apache.conf)
>
> Another 2 quick questions... ;)
>
> 1- If you look the config file, looks something like:
>
>  Alias /temp "/path/to/webpage/1/2/4"
>
>  <Directory "/path/to/webpage/1/2/4">
>    Options None
>    AllowOverride None
>    Order allow,deny
>    Allow from all
>  </Directory>
>
> But when I type http://my.server/temp in my browser server return Not
> Found error... why?

Does /path/to/webpage/1/2/4 exist?

what's in the error_log

> 2- If you look the config file looks something like:
>
>  <Directory "/path/to/webpage/directory/to/list">
>          Options Indexes
>          AllowOverride None
>  </Directory>
>
> In theory this directory can be listed, but ins't can, the
> server return
> Forbidden error... why? I'm sure to have the correct rights in that
> directory.

But do you have an "Allow from all" anywhere?

> Sorry for my bad English and thanks for all!!!

the sender's company.