httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache Error On Restart
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2005 06:38:35 GMT
Plain text please...

I'm not so sure you *can* do a graceful restart on Windows...

The graceful restart is accomplished by apache handling the USR1 signal - this type of signal
processing is a Unix facility which, to my knowledge, is not available on windows. There is
a restart facility in windows described here: http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/platform/windows.html#winsvc

What happens when you try that?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

-----Original Message-----
From: dkrobbins@micron.com [mailto:dkrobbins@micron.com]
Sent: Donnerstag, 7. April 2005 17:11
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Apache Error On Restart

I am a new Apache user and have setup Apache to run on a Windows 2003 server. We have setup
Apache to work with Subversion and are able to work with our repositories. The one issue we
have though, is that we get following error each time we try to restart the Apache service
"The requested operation has failed!". If we stop and start the service, we do not get the
error. Some of the information I found on Google suggested running "Test Configuration" to
find out the source of the error. I receive a "Syntax OK" from the command. There are no entries
in the error log. There is a error in the Application event log, but I am not sure what to
do about it:
Faulting application Apache.exe, version 2.0.52.0, faulting module libapr.dll, version 0.0.0.0,
fault address 0x00004902.
To address the "if the start/stop works, use it" comments... We would like to utilize the
graceful restart, so we don't drop the connections of those doing Subversion activities when
we restart the service.
Any suggestions?

the sender's company.