httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Brian Hughes '89" <bria...@Alum.Dartmouth.ORG>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] MODIFIYING THE REMOTE_USER VARIABLE
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:45:05 GMT
On Apr 22, 2005, at 12:12 PM, Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 4/22/05, Bud P. Bruegger <bud@comune.grosseto.it> wrote:
>> Brian just proposed this:
>>
>> RewriteEngine On
>> RewriteCond %{HTTP:HTTP_SOME_HEADER_FIELD} (.*)
>> RewriteRule .* - [E=REMOTE_USER:%1]
>>
>> and it works for me on Apache 1.3.  So I assume that also 2.0 will
>> work.
>
> As far as I know, this technique cannot be used to override the
> standard CGI env variables, including REMOTE_USER.  In fact, it is not
> possible at all to override these variables, which is generally a good
> thing.

That's what I was thinking, but you beat me to the punch with your
post. :) The immutability of the CGI env variables is a very important
thing, IMO, since there's no way to tell all the Apache modules, which
have to assume those values will be there, and will be useful, that you
are manually mucking with them upstream...

-Brian