httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ezio Paglia <e...@comune.grosseto.it>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] proxied remote_host how to ?
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:37:12 GMT
At 15.08 19/04/05, you wrote:
>On 4/19/05, Ezio Paglia <ezio@comune.grosseto.it> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > given an architecture with an Apache as an internet front-end and several
> > application servers in the intranet, managed by the reverse proxy
> > mechanism, what is the best, easiest and most standard way to let the
> > intranet servers know the original remote host ? Such method would be
> > necessary in order to allow applications different behaviours depending on
> > the real remote host, otherwise the application servers see all the
> > requests coming from the proxy.
>
>Look in the environment variable X_Forwarded_For.
>
>Joshua.

Hi Joshua and all,
thank you.

if the request passes through a chain of proxies what does it happen to
such variabile ?
In order to leave intact the application on the backup server, could we use
a setenv mechanism on the backend server, in order to rewrite the
remote_addr variable with the x_forwarded_for variable ?
Ezio.