httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ezio Paglia <e...@comune.grosseto.it>
Subject [users@httpd] Reverse Proxying : ProxyPass or RewriteRule [P] ?
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:27:44 GMT
Hi all,

we needed to configure our internet Apache webserver as a reverse proxy for
other http servers in the intranet.
Without having too knowledge of apache directives, we thought that both the
ProxyPass+ProxyPassReverse directive and the RewriteRule directive with the
proxy flag [P] could go well for our aims. However, in practice, being the
syntax of RewriteRule more powerful and concise, we preferred it to the
couple of ProxyPass.
Unfortunately, trying to manage the reverse proxying of url's coming from a
third party Application Server , we noticed that only the ProxyPass
directive worked for it.
So, I'd like to ask you whether this was a general case or a particular
case: that is, what are the conditions where ProxyPass + ProxyPassReverse
works and RewriteRule does not ?

To make a practical example in apache 1.3

ProxyPass /pls/orasso http://infra10g.comune.grosseto.it:7777/pls/orasso
ProxyPassReverse /pls/orasso http://infra10g.comune.grosseto.it:7777/pls/orasso

worked, while

RewriteRule ^/pls/orasso(.*)$