httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Bud P. Bruegger" <...@comune.grosseto.it>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SetEnv using values of other environment variables?
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:41:52 GMT

> > In order to leave intact the application on the backup server, could we use
> > a setenv mechanism on the backend server, in order to rewrite the
> > remote_addr variable with the x_forwarded_for variable ?
>
>No.  This would require a custom apache module.  (It probably wouldn't
>be too complicated, but you would need to be very careful about
>security issues.)
>
>Joshua.

hmm.   I'm working on a very related issue, trying to use SetEnv to copy
the value of one environment variable (set via the header of the HTTP
request) to another.  Kind of

SetEnv NEW_VAR %{HTTP_SOME_HEADER_FIELD}e

You say above that this requires writing a custom module and earlier
inquiries on the same issue, it seems haven't come up with answers either (see
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-users/200403.mbox/%3cF71DE20E4813974B87772D7DDACE8E510F7AB5@EMEXM1107.dir.svc.accenture.com%3e

I'm new to writing modules and was wondering whether you could give me some
general direction (keywords, similar examples) to get me started.  Maybe
Mod-Python would be the easiest way to get something working fast?

many thanks in advance

-bud

Ing. Bud P. Bruegger, Ph.D.                 +39-0564-488577
(voice),  -21139 (fax)
Servizio Elaborazione Dati                    e-mail:  bud@comune.grosseto.it
Comune di
Grosseto                            http://www.comune.grosseto.it/cie/
Via Ginori,
43                                      http://OpenPortalGuard.sf.net
58100 Grosseto (Tuscany, Italy)           jabber:  bud@amessage.info

Free Software in Public Administration:  not just a good idea, but a necessity

Perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to be added, but
when there is nothing more to be taken away -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery