httpd-users mailing list archives

From Richard Paladino <palad...@iii.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Reverse Proxy and Rewrite.
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:36:13 GMT
Hi Users,

I would like to 2nd the request that Chitta notes below.  Here is my
specific situation:

I need to be able to accommodate a back-end server with reverse proxy
rewrite rules.  My back-end servers run on multiple ports and the URLs are
widely variable.

I have created rewrite rules to cover most of the "normal" activity:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}
^([0-9]{1,5}-[.a-zA-Z0-9-]*\.)?frontend\.server\.com(:[0-9]+)?$
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://%1backend.server.com%2/$1 [P,L]

My problem is that the backend server redirects to SSL ports at various
times.  I have a list of URLs that I need to catch to do this, but I can't
find any way to transfer the connection internally in Apache to another
virtual host (an SSL port) when the backend server sends one of its redirects.

Here is an example URL:

http://backend.server.com/verification
...redirects the user to:
https://backend.server.com/verification/~S8

I have successfully created an SSL virtual host that itself contains all
the rewrite rules noted above, it's this explicit redirect that I have no
idea how to handle.  What happens at redirect is that I "pop out of" the
reverse proxy connection and end up at the backend server.

If a creative User can help with this, you will have earned my un-dying
respect and gratitude...

Thanks in advance,
Richard