httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Hay, Markus" <markus....@secureinfo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] "Forbidden" message when attempting to download .exe
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2005 19:12:48 GMT
Hello.

I have an Apache web server up and running on Windows 2003, but I'm having problems with file
downloads. This is probably something very trivial, but this is the first time I've messed
with Apache so I'm unsure where to begin. I'm able to download/open .pdf and .doc files that
are linked on a web page, but when I link a .exe file it gives me the following message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /webapp/html/downloads/j2re-1_4_2_06-windows-i586-p.exe
on this server.

What do I need to do to allow website visitors to download this file (or any other executable)?
They need to be able to download this as a prerequisite to running the java applet that I
have. Thanks in advance.

- Markus