httpd-users mailing list archives

From Abu Hurayrah <abu_huray...@almaghrib.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Running multiple daemons
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:56:22 GMT
Well, it sounds simple enough.  You obviously cannot call both the
instances of Apache httpd, so simple change the name.  Also, if you're
planning on using the apachectl start script, that will only work for
one of them, likewise.  It shouldn't be a problem to simply symbolically
link an httpd startup script to one, and then make a second one called
whatever (perhaps httpd-test).

As long as the configurations don't conflict (which seems to be the
case, since you've already got it running), you shouldn't have any
problems, unless my understanding of the init.d folder is incorrect.

You'll probably have to edit the startup scripts themselves, as well,
because if the configurations are identical, then you'll need to watch
out for overlap.  I suppose you can call the same binary twice with
different configs, just watchout for conflicts.

Lingel, Jason wrote:

>I'm running apache 2.0.46 on linux and want to run multiple daemons.  One web site will
be the production site and the other will be the test site.  I want to run two daemons so
I can bring the test site up and down at will without impacting production and make config
changes for testing if needed.

>I have two different ip addresses and use two different httpd.conf files, one pointing
at a different config. file, i.e.:

>httpd -f /etc/httpd/conf/httpd-stage.conf
>
>I can get these started well enough but I need to get them to autostart on reboot and
the /etc/init.d/httpd script only handles httpd.conf.  I created a separate /etc/init.d/httpd-stage
script but I'm having to hack at it and import and modify functions from the /etc/init.d/functions
script to make things work.

>It seems like this is a path that should be well-traveled but I haven't found much in
the newsgroups about it.  Has anybody seen this process documented anywhere or have any clues
about how to make it work other than hacking at the init scripts?