httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.Uninstaller
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:23:40 GMT
john cage wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply, Mike.  I tried that in
> combination with rebooting, etc.  NOTHING has worked
> which is what makes it so frustrating.  You mention
> plural (directories).

Yes - but not significantly

Because the docs directory sits under the Apache root I decided I didn't
want the extra decoration of "Program Files" so I made c:\apache\apache
for 1.3 and c:\apache\apache2 for 2.0

I had different reasons for using 1.3 and 2.0 related to php and python.

In the end I needed 2.0 for a particular project management system I
wanted (dotproject). I had installed 2.0 previously incorrectly so it
appeared in c:\apache\apache\apache2 which irritated me for obvious
reasons. It would not re-install until I cleaned out the whole thing.

It is possible that I also cleaned out the registry but I can't remember.

I do remember that it took some dedicated effort to follow all the
configuration tweaks for the versions of mod_php but it finally fell
into place.

If deleting directories didn't do it I would be starting again without
any config tweaks and prove that it does work in vanilla mode. Document
what you do or put your config files under version control so you can
see when it stops working. My own practice is to copy each working
config file to a new name with a suffix ..._works so I can go back and
start from a known working file when I stuff things up.

Good luck

Mike

Is there more than one that I