httpd-users mailing list archives

From Laura Vance <van...@winfreeacademy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache/Domain Controller
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:19:00 GMT
As some other people have mentioned but not said outright.  Microsoft
does not recommend any two servers running on the same machine.  They
are specifically talking about PDC being on its own machine, IIS being
on its own machine, MSSQL Server being on its own, Exchange server on
its own... etc, etc.

The basic rule of thumb is don't have more than one major service on a
single Microsoft server machine.  When the OS manufacturer says it,
there must be a reason for it, so if you're looking for a reason to
justify separating the two services (ie. trying to get a boss to
understand), this would probably be the best route to take.

For a more specific reason, you never ever ever ever want a windows PDC
to sit on the Internet.  If you run a web service (Apache or IIS or
WebSphere or whatever), that means it has some contact with the outside
world.... aka a direct connection to the Internet (unless it's behind a
port forwarding firewall, but that's a different matter and still not a
good thing for a PDC).  So, to satisfy the need of keeping your PDC
isolated to your internal network, you really need to separate the PDC
and web server functionality.

I've been a systems/network admin for both Microsoft and *nix networks,
and while I prefer *nix, I still know a bit about MS and their guidelines.

--
Thanks,
Laura Vance