httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ivan Barrera A." <Br...@Ivn.cl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Removing the Server Response Header
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:06:30 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 4/13/05, Larry Johnson <ljohnson@envictus.com> wrote:
>
>>       I'm currently in the process of trying to remove/write over the
>>"Server" response header variable using mod_headers. My question is where
>>exactly in my configuration files do I need to place the "Header unset ..."
>>or "Header set ..." lines for them to overwrite or remove this variable.
>>I've tried in httpd.conf to no avail, though I can add new header variables
>>so I know that mod_headers is working properly. Anything you can provide
>>would be a great help.
>

> You can't do that with mod_headers, and it's a silly idea anyway.
>
> If you want to display less information, see the ServerTokens
> directive.  If you want to lie in the server header or omit it
> entirely, you'll need to hack the code.

Not really..
you can do some other tricks to.

Mod_security (and other mod i dont remember) allow "faking" the server-id.
However, if you are lazy, and want to do it fast, just vi (or another
binary editor) the httpd binary, and replace the appareances of Apache/2
with your own string (has to be the same lenght)