httpd-users mailing list archives

From Erick Paquin <i...@erickpaquin.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Windows XP problem after install of Apache 2.0.53
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 04:13:51 GMT
This is not to put them down but Symantec is honestly no good at
stopping viruses...just last year i fixed around 250 machines infected
that had symantec onboard with no good results...even ourselves at the
time were running it and got caught.

So we switched to Grisoft's AVG Pro and then no more problems ever
since....even better now that we use Firefox instead of IE.

Just download a trial of AVG and check for yourself. www.grisoft.com

Erick P.

nospam@wimvd.nl wrote:

>Hi Erick,
>
>My first thought also. But as the machine runs Symantec with update of
>definitions almost every week, and a check was performed the night
>before and the machine was not connected in the time between (it still
>runs on ISDN dial-up, manually only when needed), I ruled it out. The
>install-files for Apache were already downloaded and sitting by.
>
>But, the virus scanner also doesn't run anymore.... So the virus should
>have been inside the machine and "attacked" after the install? Which
>virus could that be?
>
>Regards,
>Wim.
>

>Op 13/4/2005 schreef "Erick Paquin" <info@erickpaquin.com>:
>

>>A virus in your machine?
>>
>>Erick P.
>>
>>nospam@wimvd.nl wrote:
>>

>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>I installed Apache 2.0.53 on a Windows XP Home Edition (with SP1)
>>>machine. It runs great, also the PHP and MySQL I have there, no problems.
>>>
>>>BUT, now the system looks somewhat "crippled", I cannot access the
>>>configuration options anymore, e.g. when I look to the network cards and
>>>TCP/IP setting, there is nothing displayed. Installing a new adapter
>>>tells me it is already there. And it also runs... I can use most of the
>>>programs, but the MS Office suite tells me it "cannot register" a
>>>document I'm trying to edit. But editing works oke.
>>>
>>>I looked at several things and came to the conclusion that the accoun t I
>>>use might have been corrupted.  But opening the program to administer
>>>accounts shows nothing anymore. Weird, eh?
>>>
>>>So what is going on here, has anyone a clue to help me?
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Wim.

>>--
>>"Fletcher left the police car at the railroad station. Rossie and Willcox have found
the car. Now, Fletcher's on a freight train. He's been on a..."