httpd-users mailing list archives

From Aman Raheja <arah...@techquotes.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] init.d/httpd file missing and error running apachectl
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:25:01 GMT
Mark Sargent wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> just recently installed ver 2.0.53 and went to restart after
> configuring httpd.conf and got the following,

Good move

> [root@localhost conf]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart
> -bash: /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd: No such file or directory
>
> funny, cause when installing earlier today, on a work machine, it
> existed. So, I then tried the following,

because this package never installs it and on the other machine you had
a different apache installed and that's what was executed and not the
new one, when you ran the script - You might want to check which apache
version are you running on that other box, as well.

> [root@localhost bin]# /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl restart
> httpd: could not open document config file
> /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
>
> why is it looking for apache as opposed to apache2.? Below is the
> apachectl file,

Did you copy your httpd.conf file from the older install of apache from
this or another box and that still has the root set incorrectly?

> [...]
> # --------------------                              --------------------
> #
> # the path to your httpd binary, including options if necessary
> HTTPD='/usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd'
> #
> # pick up any necessary environment variables
> if test -f /usr/local/apache2/bin/envvars; then
>  . /usr/local/apache2/bin/envvars
> fi
> #
> # a command that outputs a formatted text version of the HTML at the
> # url given on the command line.  Designed for lynx, however other
> # programs may work.
> LYNX="lynx -dump"
> #
> # the URL to your server's mod_status status page.  If you do not
> # have one, then status and fullstatus will not work.
> STATUSURL="http://localhost:80/server-status"
> #
> # Set this variable to a command that increases the maximum
> # number of file descriptors allowed per child process. This is
> # critical for configurations that use many file descriptors,
> # such as mass vhosting, or a multithreaded server.
> ULIMIT_MAX_FILES="ulimit -S -n `ulimit -H -n`"
> # --------------------                              --------------------
> # ||||||||||||||||||||   END CONFIGURATION SECTION  ||||||||||||||||||||
>
> # Set the maximum number of file descriptors allowed per child process.
> if [ "x$ULIMIT_MAX_FILES" != "x" ] ; then
>    $ULIMIT_MAX_FILES
> fi
>
> ERROR=0
> if [ "x$ARGV" = "x" ] ; then
>    ARGV="-h"
> fi
>
> case $ARGV in
> start|stop|restart|graceful)
>    $HTTPD -k $ARGV
>    ERROR=$?
>    ;;
> startssl|sslstart|start-SSL)
>    $HTTPD -k start -DSSL
>    ERROR=$?
>    ;;
> configtest)
>    $HTTPD -t
>    ERROR=$?
>    ;;
> status)
>    $LYNX $STATUSURL | awk ' /process$/ { print; exit } { print } '
>    ;;
> fullstatus)
>    $LYNX $STATUSURL
>    ;;
> *)
>    $HTTPD $ARGV
>    ERROR=$?
> esac
>
> exit $ERROR
>
> I don't see any reference to calling httpd.conf from apache as opposed
> to apache2. Am I missing something..? Was following this,
>
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.php
>
> Anyone know what's going on..? Cheers.
>
> php=5.0.4
> apache=2.0.53
> OS=Fedora 3 (same as work machine, which had no errors like this)

Aman Raheja
TechQuotes.com