httpd-users mailing list archives

From Craig Jackson <cjack...@localsurface.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] read-only webdav folder
Date Sun, 10 Apr 2005 14:41:30 GMT
Dick Davies wrote:
> * Craig Jackson <cjackson@localsurface.com> [0451 05:51]:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am having some trouble setting up read-only webdav Location. Below you
>

> Isn't that a 'web page' ? :)
>

>>can see that the logs show DELETE and PUT allowed, while the httpd.conf
>>config for this Location restricts this user to read-only access. So the
>

> No, it doesn't - this config allows all options, because you haven't blocked them.
>

>><Limit GET HEAD OPTIONS PROPFIND>
>>	allow from all
>></Limit>
>

> Try
>
> <LimitExcept GET HEAD OPTIONS PROPFIND>
>  	deny from all
>  </LimitExcept>
>

>>user has more permission than he should have. The directory permissions
>>you can see below also. Nobody, the Apache user, owns the directory. Now
>

> Ick. Nobody shouldn't own files IMO - that's the point of nobody. Might be
> saner to create a www/www user/group and run apache as that.

Thanks, that worked. So much for examples from Apache 2.0 by Wrox (Peter
Wainwright) page 622 which I took my configuration from verbatim to
create a webdav-enabled folder. I think maybe you need to write the book.

We are using NetDrive by Novell to allow access to webdav folders on our
Apache-Linux server. Some folders need to be read-only.

Thanks very much again,
Craig