httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dan Trainor <i...@hostinthebox.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Questions about MinSpareServers, MaxSpareServers, StartServers
Date Sun, 03 Apr 2005 21:37:16 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Apr 3, 2005 3:21 AM, Dan Trainor <info@hostinthebox.net> wrote:
>
>>Hello, all -
>>
>>I've recently seen an error that I have not come across before, and it
>>is as follows:
>>
>>[Sat Apr  2 19:16:57 2005] [info] server seems busy, (you may need to
>>increase StartServers, or Min/MaxSpareServers), spawning 8 children,
>>there are 23 idle, and 85 total children
>>
>>I understand it, however, it doesn't seem to matter what I set
>>StartServers, MinSpareServers, or MaxSpareServers to.  I still get these
>>errors, regardless of what I change them to.
>>
>>I noticed that Apache only spawns new servers in two's compliment
>>fashion, so I've changed these values accordingly:
>>
>>MinSpareServers 32
>>MaxSpareServers 48
>>StartServers 64

Joshua -

I understand what the settings mean.  My reasoning behind these settings
is that Apache would be able to quicker respond to a request if it
already had a child waiting for the connection.  If for some reason this
site got an additional 40 hits in one instant, Apache would deal with
those by sending them to children, and then when that is established, it
would create more children in anticipation for new connections.

Regardless, where might I be able to find more information about this
error?  I'm very curious now.

Thanks
-dant