httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Brian Hughes '89" <bria...@Alum.Dartmouth.ORG>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SetEnv using values of other environment variables?
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:20:46 GMT
On Apr 21, 2005, at 10:41 AM, Bud P. Bruegger wrote:
>> > In order to leave intact the application on the backup server,
>> could we use
>> > a setenv mechanism on the backend server, in order to rewrite the
>> > remote_addr variable with the x_forwarded_for variable ?
>>
>> No.  This would require a custom apache module.  (It probably wouldn't
>> be too complicated, but you would need to be very careful about
>> security issues.)
>>
>> Joshua.
>
> hmm.   I'm working on a very related issue, trying to use SetEnv to
> copy the value of one environment variable (set via the header of the
> HTTP request) to another.  Kind of
>
> SetEnv NEW_VAR %{HTTP_SOME_HEADER_FIELD}e
>
> You say above that this requires writing a custom module and earlier
> inquiries on the same issue, it seems haven't come up with answers
> either (see
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-users/200403.mbox/
> %3cF71DE20E4813974B87772D7DDACE8E510F7AB5@EMEXM1107.dir.svc.accenture.c
> om%3e

I don't think Joshua's statement about needing to write a new module
applies to your situation. There is a big difference between changing
the value if the REMOTE_ADDR environment variable, which is set by the
TCP connection, and grabbing the value of an HTTP header and setting it
as a new env var for downstream use.

You may need to use a mod_rewrite call to "grab" the value of your HTTP
request header, if it's not one of the standard ones, but I would
probably use mod_rewrite anyway, since I've never really had good luck
with SetEnv (or SetEnvIf).

Give this a try:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP:HTTP_SOME_HEADER_FIELD} (.*)
RewriteRule .* - [E=New_VAR:%1]

-Brian