httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] After a couple days httpd child processes go 100% CPU
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:20:36 GMT
On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:31:20AM +1200, Damon Maria wrote:
> Sorry for the not very descriptive subject, but this is a hard to
> describe problem...
>
> Some basic details:
> - httpd-2.0.54 (although I've had this problem since at least 2.0.49)
> - Redhat 9.0 (kernel 2.4.20-8)
> - 2.4GHz P4 256M mem.

You should try using:

  SSLMutex default
  SSLSessionCache shmcb:...

instead of the default settings, this will probably avoid both the
issues with the mutex at graceful restart and the issues with the dbm
session cache.

We've had a couple of reports recently of sites using mod_ssl seeing
processes eating CPU, but nobody has yet taken the time to get a
backtrace out of such a process.  Add, for example:

  CoreDumpDirectory /tmp

to your config, then send SIGSEGV to core dump a spinning process when
you see one, or attach to it with "gdb /path/to/httpd <pid>", and enter:

  backtrace full

in gdb to get a backtrace.

joe