httpd-users mailing list archives

From Robert Zagarello <bz...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Generating SSL Certificate Request/Self-Signed Certificate
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:04:32 GMT

Thanks for the info...  I was looking for .conf
instead of .cnf and I sometimes forget that file
extensions are not always the same cross-platform.  As
it turns out, NetBSD2 doesn't have a default
configured except for a sample file in
/usr/share/examples/openssl, which is fine.

BZAG
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Robert:

> After running the following command:
>
> openssl req -new -key
> /usr/pkg/etc/httpd/ssl.key/server.key -x509 -days
365
> -out /usr/pkg/etc/httpd/ssl.crt/server.csr
>
> ... I get the error:
>
> Unable to load config info
>
> I am running NetBSD V2 and Apache2.  I cannot find a
> conf file that might load this information nor a doc
> list of env params that might facilitate this (the
> command does not prompt for info).  I've been
looking
> through both the Apache2 docs and the openssl man
> pages...  anyone have ideas?

The flag is '-config', so the command should look
something like this:

openssl req -new -config /location/of/your/openssl.cnf
-key
/usr/pkg/etc/httpd/ssl.key/server.key -x509 -days 365
-out
/usr/pkg/etc/httpd/ssl.crt/server.csr

BTW, OpenSSL is possibly the worst documented program
I've ever used.
I've
spent more than my fair share googleing for tutorials
and
tips-n-tricks.
Does anyone out there have any time to pitch in with
that project? I'm
sure
everyone would appreciate your efforts.

 ~ Robert