httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jesse Patterson" <jpatter...@paybycash.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Where is Status Code 104 coming from in my access log?
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2005 19:23:17 GMT
Hello,

I did a list archive search on status code 104, but the brief thread
returned didn't seem to help much in the context of where I'm getting the
code, so I'm going to test the waters here.

I get this code when a user tries to fetch an image from a valid directory.
The image is there, permissions are correct, and -the user does actually get
the image-.

Note that reproducing this is problematic.  It seems that once the user's
cache is cleared or something, I never get the 104 for that user again.  I
just get either the 200 or the 304 messages I'd normally expect to be
seeing.

Would this have anything to do with me moving the servers from one machine
to another, and it's just some transient thing, or is it something
completely different?   My best guess was that some users still had the
image cached from the "old server machine" and it is making noises when it
sees the image on the new machine.

As far as I can see, once a user's browser cache is cleared, I never get the
104 again.  But still, I'd really like to know more about where this is
coming from and why.

This is on Apache 2.0.53, SuSE 9.2 distro, 2.6.8 kernel.

Here's a chop of log lines, three different clients trying to connect to the
same page at different times:

xx.xx.xx.xx - - [04/Apr/2005:10:28:43 -0400] "GET /images/camelot03.jpg
HTTP/1.1" 104 -
yy.yy.yy.yy - - [04/Apr/2005:13:00:40 -0400] "GET /images/camelot03.jpg
HTTP/1.1" 304 -
zz.zz.zz.zz - - [04/Apr/2005:13:01:38 -0400] "GET /images/camelot03.jpg
HTTP/1.1" 200 12862

The 104 is kind of driving me nuts because AFAIK, there is no spec for a 104
code.

If anyone has any ideas, similar experiences, etc., I'd be most happy to
listen.

Jesse Patterson