httpd-users mailing list archives

From <graham.rj.spill...@bt.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] tracking user clicks thru a session id
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:19:32 GMT
Pete

I have written a log analyser in VBA which runs in Excel
Couldn't persuade Analog to do it for me with the results I want.

My need was to focus on response time, so I've added %T to a custom log format as below
   LogFormat "%h %t %T \"%r\" %>s %b" performance

My code identifies individual users as it scans the access log
I use IP address to identify users.
You may need to use your SSL string instead - in principle no difference.

It would not be difficult to modify the code in the IPAddress collection to record what you
are looking for and then spit this out on a spreadsheet on change of day or reaching access
log EOF.

I already produce for each page requested the following
(which thereby intrinsically includes the count of D (#Hits) which you need):
   #Hits
   Min response, Median response, Mean response, Max response
   ditto for Bytes returned
   + the page ID requested

There are filtering facilities to get rid of requests for GIFs, Java status requests etc

... it's all documented too  :o)

I scan up to 10,000 log lines/sec
Perl would do it faster no doubt, but Windoze Excel is good enough for me

Post a reply if you're interested further

Graham