httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jan Eden <li...@janeden.org>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_rewrite and forms
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:24:04 GMT
Hi,

I use mod_rewrite to provide simpler URLs for my database-driven site. My document root's
.htaccess contains the following line (among others):

RewriteRule pages/([0-9]+) cgi-bin/show.pl?id=$1

It works fine.

But some of my pages are password-protected. For these pages, show.pl displays a form where
username and password can be entered. The form calls the script itself:

    $q->start_form(),
    $q->hidden("id", "$id"),
    $q->submit;

If the username/password are entered correctly, show.pl is called again with three parameters
(id, username and password), and the protected page is displayed

Unfortunately, when sending the form, the browser's address bar changes from

http://mysite.com/pages/1234

http://mysite.com/pages/1234?id=1234

The page itself is displayed correctly.

But why is the query string added? When I change the form's method to get, I get

http://mysite.com/pages/1234?user_name=user&user_password=pass&id=1234&.submit=Senden

as you would expect.

Why is the "id=1234" part still added when using POST?

Thanks,

Jan
--
There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those who don't