httpd-users mailing list archives

From Scott Gifford <sgiff...@suspectclass.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] I've been hacked, I need some help please...
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:04:20 GMT
"Ivan Barrera A." <Bruce@Ivn.cl> writes:

>> In FreeBSD there is such a thing as a "jail" that restricts where
>> one can get to even if he breaks out of the server.Does Linux have
>> such a thing? Would that have prevented this breakin?
>> Just a thought...
>>

> chroot. works the same.

It's actually similar, but not identical.  jail has more restrictions
than chroot does.  See:

    http://docs.freebsd.org/44doc/papers/jail/jail-4.html

If you use the grsecurity patch:

    http://www.grsecurity.net/

you can configure your Linux chroot to behave similarly to jail.

I use this in conjunction with mod_chroot on some high-security
applications:

    http://core.segfault.pl/~hobbit/mod_chroot/

And neither of these prevents break-ins; they limit the damage that
can be done if and when a break-in does occur.  Fortunately that's
generally a big piece of what you care about, so they do improve
security quite a bit.

----ScottG.