httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to change HTTP headers in Apache 2.0.53?
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:20:08 GMT
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:07:22 -0500, Fernando Montenegro
<fsmontenegro@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to edit HTTP Header variables as they are
> passed to a CGI being executed? Here's the background: we're adding a
> reverse proxy to secure a Web application. This application makes use
> of several HTTP headers (REMOTE_ADDR, HTTPS, SSL_CIPHER_KEYSIZE and
> many others) and uses this information not only inside the CGI code
> running on the web server but all the way back to the back-end.
> Rewriting the application to look in new headers (X-Forwaded-for, for
> example) is not an option at this time.

I see three possible solutions.  One you have already ruled out:

> Writing an intermediary CGI that would take the headers and modify
> before sending to the customer's CGI is not something we want to do,
> as performance in this environment is critical.

Have you actually benchmarked the performance hit?  I'd be surprised
if this was actually the factor make or break your application.

A second possibility is the RequestHeader directive, but I believe you
would need to use the "early" keyword to make it work early enough in
the request processing phase, and that isn't available in version 2.0;
it is only in the development version, 2.1.

A third possibility is to write a simple module that would rewrite the
request_rec for you.

That's all the ideas I have.

Joshua.