httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Bug? 206 partial content logged incorrectly
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:28:08 GMT
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:50:37 +1030, Freddie <freddie@madcowdisease.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just looking over the generated stats for some websites I host, and I
> noticed some strange results. Several users have used tools such as GetRight
> to download files in multiple parts, and the log entries for these seem
> incorrect to me. The actual size of the file is 183,353,344 bytes, but the
> total of these log entries ends up being several gigabytes. It's my
> understanding that the byte count field is the bytes transferred for this
> connection. Any ideas?

No, the byte count in the log is the number of bytes requested, not
the number transferred.  And many of these "accelerators" (better
named: bandwidth hoggers) work not by requesting different chunks of
the file, but rather by making requests for "everything from byte x to
the end" where byte x changes.  Then they simply drop the connection
when they have what they want.

More accurate byte counts can be obtained using mod_logio:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_logio.html

Joshua.