httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite + post form data
Date Sat, 05 Mar 2005 18:28:07 GMT
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 15:55:45 -0600, Bumbia, M Kamran
<Kamran.Bumbia@coair.com> wrote:
> I understand external redirect as a rewrite to another http webserver on
> another machine and the internal to be on the same box

Almost.  I mean any redirect where the client is asked to refetch the
document, as opposed to an "alias" or "internal redirect" where the
webserver fetches the content at the new location and returns in to
the client without the client ever knowing about the new location.

In mod_rewrite, you get an external redirect if you specify a full URL
(starting in http:) or if you include the [R] flag.  Otherwise you get
an internal redirect.

Joshua.