httpd-users mailing list archives

From Saqib.N....@seagate.com
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SPNEGO module for Apache
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:16:58 GMT

Hello Sam,

If the client computers are part of the AD, then you are in Kerberos
environment by default. AD is mixture of Kerberos and LDAP.

mod_ntlm is not very secure.

SPNEGO provides a mechanism to authenticate clients to webservers in a
secure fashion. It works work just like a windows machine accessing a
Windows based file server. Accept in the case of  SPNEGO the Windows file
server is replaced by a WebServer (Apache/IIS etc). Once the client
authenticates to a Active Directory domain controller and receives a Ticket
Granting Ticket (TGT) , it request services from a WebServer. When the AD
controller gives a Ticket[Client to Web   Server] , the client can use that
Ticket to access the resources from the WebServer.

Thanks.
Saqib Ali
http://validate.sf.net

             "Sam Gold"
             <SamGold@tmo.blac
             kberry.net>                                                To
             No Phone Info             "Saqib.N.Ali@seagate.com"
             Available                 <Saqib.N.Ali@seagate.com>
                                                                        cc

             03/17/05 05:57 PM                                     Subject
                                       Re: [users@httpd] SPNEGO module for
                                       Apache

I have heard of mod_ntlm(2) but not the module you are talking about.  I
would be very interested in hearing about what exactly you are doing.  I
have to do the same type of thing.  We are just using AD, I'm not sure if
we are using Kerbos or not.  I do know that AD supports Kerbos.  I'm sorry
I couldn't be of any help.