httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Deepa Rangarajan" <deepa...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_cache and mod_header
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:51:24 GMT
Hi,
  I am using Apache 2.0.46 (A) as my reverse proxy to an Apache server
-2.0.52.(B)

I am trying to cache some files on my reverse proxy and hence have
configured my httpd.conf as follows :

   CacheEnable disk /xxx
   CacheEnable disk /yyy
   CacheRoot "/var/cache/mod_proxy"
   CacheSize 1000000

The files for /xxx reside on server B. The files within that directory are
image files. Hence I have added the Cache-Control header for them as follows
:

   <Directory "xxx">
    <FilesMatch "\.(gif)$">
  Header append Cache-Control
"max-age=300,s-maxage=300,public,must-revalidate,proxy-revalidate"
     </FilesMatch>
   </Directory>

I see that incase I change my image files, the new file gets loaded after
300 seconds after it has been cached. Until then it retrieves from the cache
which is right. But after the new file is loaded, even for the subsequent
requests , I see that it goes to server B for retrieving the file, than
retrieving from the cache . And in between it seems to retrieve from the
cache too.

  The files seem to expire withing the max-age duration and at irregular
intervals of time.

  Both my servers, A and B are set to the same time, though I am not using
an NTP server.
I have tried searching as much over the net and trying various possibilities
but still am unable to understand why the cache is not behaving as expected.

  Pls. let me know if you have any ideas/suggestions.

Thks,
-Deepa