httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jack Stone" <anten...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Is it possible to redirect mass downloaders?
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2005 01:34:05 GMT
>From: Joshua Slive <jslive@gmail.com>
>To: users@httpd.apache.org
>Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Is it possible to redirect mass downloaders?
>Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:49:45 -0500
>
>On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:27:25 -0600, Jack Stone <antennex@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > For quite a while, I have been doing almost hand-to-hand combat with
>people
> > using those mass downloaders like HTTRACK. Since the site in question is
>an
> > online Tech Mag and meant to be read online, most sessions seen are
>where
> > intent is to ignore the robots.text and download the entire website
>which is
> > a huge amount of content. Of course, this hogs bandwidth and slows down
> > things for all the other readers.
> >
> > When alerted to a session via one of those utilities, they are stopped
>via a
> > deny of IP from the website.
> >
> > My Question:
> > Is there a way to set a redirect to send any requests specifically from
> > HTTRACK and others to a dead end so they suck air so I don't have to do
>this
> > manually?
>
>RewriteEngine On
>RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} HTTRACK
>RewriteRule .* /path/to/nodownloadersallowed.html
>
>Many people use something similar to block all those
>email-address-harvesting robots.
>
>Joshua.

Joshua, thank you so much from the tip and syntax.

You are right about several more of them, webreaper is another.

Would this work to combine more than one offender?
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} HTTRACK WebReaper
RewriteRule .* /path/to/nodownloadersallowed.html

Again, many thanks. This will be a very large help!