httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_proxy_html and URL encoded parameters in form
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:37:49 GMT
Jens Stutte wrote:

> If i put in between the reverse proxy (configuration see below),
> all content is delivered by mod_proxy_html as UTF-8. Therefore the
> browser will encode an à as %C3 in the form parameters. This
> parameter is passed to the backend web server without being
> changed, but it seems that the application expects ISO-8859-1 as
> input and the http header of the request has been changed to ISO-8859-1
> by mod_proxy_html.
>
> Is this an error of mod_proxy_html or am i missing something?
> I had a short look at the code of the module, but i wasn't able
> to find the point in which is determined the encoding used against
> the backend server.
>
> Any help would be very appreciated and thanx in advance!

libxml2 uses utf-8 internally and transcodes on input, so mod_proxy_html
determines encoding and tells libxml2.  To re-transcode on output would
be an additional overhead, which mod_proxy_html doesn't incur.  Since
transcoding filters (like mod_charset_lite) are available, it would be
superfluous for mod_proxy_html to do that too.

You could insert a transcoding filter after mod_proxy_html to get back
your iso-8859-1.  Or you insert a transcoding input filter when you
accept the form data.

--
Nick Kew