httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alberto Barbati <abarb...@iaanus.com>
Subject [users@httpd] BUG? RewriteEngine from VirtualHost invoked on response to CONNECT
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:54:53 GMT
Hi Everybody,

[Fedora Core 3, httpd 2.0.52]

as many of us, I periodically see in my logs an attempt to check the
proxy capabilities of my server, namely the request "CONNECT
1.3.3.7:1337 HTTP/1.0".

I would expect the request to fail with a result of 4xx (405 to be
exact). With my surprise, I found that the request succeded with a
result of 301 (redirect permanently) instead. As the redirected URL
contained the string "/mailman/info" I quickly understood that the
problem was in the configuration of one of my virtual hosts (the one
that handles mailman lists):

  [rest omitted for brevity]

</VirtualHost>
--------------

The one above is the only occurrence of "RewriteEngine On" in my whole
configuration.

It seems that the CONNECT request has been processed by mod_rewrite
according to a directive that should be restricted to my named-based
virtual host. This looks very fishy to me.

As a workaround, I added

    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^GET$

before the RewriteRule, yet I think my original configuration had
nothing wrong and Apache should have behaved differently.

Is it a bug in Apache? Has it been fixed in 2.0.53 (o later)? Am I
missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Alberto